Racine Concert Band
"Identify, recognize, and honor those bands that have demonstrated particularly high standards of excellence in concert activities, over a period of several years, and which have played a significant role in the cultural environment of their community".
2002 - Present
To reflect its changing character, the band was renamed in 1967 as the Racine Municipal Band.
In 1996, the name was changed again to the Racine Concert Band.
In 2007, the band was privatized, and the city council voted to continue to provide limited financial support and office space for the band, while freeing itself from insurance, liability, cartage, and payroll responsibilities.
1943 - 1973
The Racine Concert Bandhas been acknowledged on a national level by the Sousa Foundation and the Association of Concert Bands. In 1994, the Racine Concert Band was the nation's tenth organization to be awarded the Sousa Foundation "Sudler Silver Scroll". The purpose of the award is to:
1974 - 2001
For more information about the following organizations, click the pictures below to visit their websites.
Years As Conductor
The antecedents of the band date to 1877, when Adolphe Schulte became leader of the
"Hendrie and Smith Quadrille and Reed Band".
In 1882, the band was renamed the "Schulte Band". Henry Schulte, Adolphe's son, succeeded his father as the conductor. He successfully lobbied the Racine City Council to fund band concerts, and the Racine Park Board Band came into existence in 1923.
The Association of Concert Bands has recognized the high artistic standards of the band, by inviting the band to perform at national conventions in St. Louis, Detroit, and Chicago. The band has been fortunate to play under nationally recognized conductors and featured soloists, many of whom has expressed lavish praise.
1933 - 1942